Thursday, January 16, 2014

2014 CrossFit Open

   

     The 2014 CrossFit Games Open schedule was announced and registration began yesterday.  I debated doing the CrossFit Open this year.  I still can't do a pull-up and overall I am not confident that I am any better? Doubt, fear and indecision were in full force.  I had all my excuses ready!  
      The Open is a worldwide competition explained in this post.  Last year, my goal was to be able to post a score of at least 1 on every workout and I succeeded.  I exceeded my expectations in some workouts (Clean @95 lbs) and surprisingly failed at others (150 Wall Balls).   
     After reflecting on how much I got out of participating last year, I registered. Deep down, I always knew I would, but I indulged myself for a moment or two. I felt encouraged by these two Barbell Shrugged podcast:
  • Episode 92:  The 15 Movements You Need to Focus on to Dominate This Year's CrossFit Open Competition
  • Episode 94- How to Mentally Prepare and Go Faster For Your CrossFit WOD or Competition
     After listening to these podcasts I realized I can do 13 of the 15 movements* and should not let 2 things (pull-ups and muscle-ups) scare me away.  If a workout starts off with either movement, I will try, but probably have to post a score of zero.  So what?  Since when do I let the possibility of failure stop me?!?!  So here I go again...stayed tuned the workouts will start in March.
     *For those of you wondering, the 15 movements were complied based on the last 3 years of Open workouts. They are: Snatches, Cleans, Jerks, Push Press (shoulder to overhead), Thrusters, Deadlifts, Overhead Squats, Wall Balls, Double-unders, Push-ups, Pull-ups, Muscle-ups, Burpees, Toes to Bar and Box Jumps.
Who else is going to be competing in The Open?

No comments:

Post a Comment