Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Crossfit Games Open 2013: Goals & Expectations

The CrossFit Open is worldwide fitness competition- five workouts (called WODs) over 5 weeks from March 6 to April 7, 2013.  WODs are posted on Wednesday must be completed by Sunday.  Anyone can enter, even those who don't CrossFit, hence it is called The Open.  Over 100,000 people from around the world are registered for The Open this year- that includes me!

For most of us, it isn't about winning. It is about putting yourself out there and giving it your all.  The workouts are going to hard- really hard!  But CrossFit is always hard. If it is easy, you are doing it wrong.

My only goal is to the complete all 5 workouts to the best of my ability.  I will either finish the workout or keep trying until I hit the timecap.  If there is a skill I can't do (i.e. pull-ups) , I will just try and try until the clock says I can stop trying.  In this case, success is not winning, it is doing.  This is more of a mental than physical challenge for me. I have made so much progress in my physical abilities, but my skills are what they are.  The real test is my mental game- do I have the tenacity and drive to make it through a competition, when the odds are not in my favor?  Someone has to come in last (in the world), that might be me. I am okay with that.  

I am extra fortunate that CrossFitt Centurion (CFC) is a participating affiliate and will be hosting the workouts on Thursday and Saturdays.  CrossFit is about community, just as much it is about competition. So together we will get through this and some of us may even make it to the next round.  Top competitors from each region will move onto The Regionals.  The Regional winners move onto The Games and the winners of The Games are declared "The Fittest People on Earth." 
For me, participating in The Open is scary and exciting!  I watched the workouts last year and thought- I'll never do this! Ha! Never say never! I'll be blogging about my experience over the next 5 weeks.  Two of the Tour de Fit races fall within this time period, so I will be running a 7k and a 5k also!  Wish me luck! 

 
*WOD= Workout Of the Day.  My follow-up post will be titled Open WOD 13.1, 13.2.....
Link to CrossFit Games http://games.crossfit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment