Thursday, April 11, 2013

CrossFit Games Open 2013 Wrap-Up & Thoughts

 


Last year when I saw The Open workouts, I said I would never do it!   A lot has changed in a year. CrossFit has given me a whole new outlook on what is possible and The Open pushed that out even further. It sparked something in me and I am lifting heavier and moving faster!

My scores were not "competitive," but I did every WOD to the best of my ability and I completed all 5 workouts. The Open has shown me how much more I still want to achieve.  Truth be told, I needed the Open.

What did I get from doing the 2013 CrossFit Games Open?

  • I felt like a true athlete.  That is something I have never experienced before.  The support and respect from my CrossFit box made me feel like a champion just for stepping up and trying. People cheering you on is an amazing experience! I am capable of so much more than I thought. 
  • The Open brings us together.  The CrossFit community is awesome at combining competitiveness and camaraderie.  150,000 people in 100 countries all doing the same workout!  Once you get through the WOD, you remember it as having fun together. 
  • Having the opportunity to be a judge for others and help coach them through workouts was just as rewarding as competing myself.  I learned a little about being a coach.  Sometimes that means being a cheerleader and other times a drill sergeant to help bring out the best performance in someone. 
  • I am just getting started.  Having no athletic background puts me at a disadvantage, but I will continue to work at closing that gap. I found my edge and realized I need to push myself even harder.

     The Open was a reality check for me. I have made tons of progress in 1.5 years, but I've been resting on my laurels a little.  Everyday workouts can be modified, but Open WODs are what they are. You can either do it or you can't there is no scaling, only standards.  I was forced to face my limits and acknowledge my weaknesses.  But I also discovered a lot of strengths I didn't know I had.

     Some people think, why compete when you know you won't win? I experienced the value of just being part of the competition.  Hundreds of thousands of people around the world signed up for the unknown and faced 5 weeks of challenges.  It is so inspiring to give it your absolute all and give support to others giving it their absolute all. Did I mention the community aspect of this event is amazing?!?!

     Congratulations to everyone who did The Open, best wishes to those going onto to Regionals and thank you the CrossFit community, especially CFC.  Next year- count me in! Until then, I'll be working on my pull-ups and endurance.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment