Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January Favorite Things


     Hello all!  This is my monthly favorites post.  This is a random list of foods, events, podcasts, movies, makeup and anything else I enjoyed throughout the month.  Here are January's picks:

Truffle Salt 
This is the perfect seasoning for soups, veggies, meat, anything really.  This flavorful finishing salt gives winter dishes a rich earthy taste.  During the cold months, I just keep it on the counter and add to everything.

Yerba Matte Tea
My favorite way to start a work day is to brew a cup of loose leaf tea, even better if it is Yerba Matte.  It gives you a caffeine and chocolate boost.  The loose leaf version, allows for multiple brewing, so I have up 3 cups of this a day.  (Of course, I still have coffee- this does not replace coffee!)

Whip Stick  from Lush Cosmetics
My lips are being wrecked by the cold weather and my usual chapstick is just not cutting it. Thank goodness for this lip balm. Did I mention I have the chocolate flavored one?  Yeah...that might have something to do with it being a favorite.

Welcome to Nightvale Podcast
I talked about this in my Favorite Podcast posts. I discovered it in December and in 3 days had listened to all 37 back episodes.  I can hardly wait for the 1st and 15th of each month now, to find out what happens next.  If you like dark and weird humor, give it a try.

Blackfish  
A moving and informative documentary on orcas in captivity. It focuses on the infamous orca,  Tilikum, who has been involved in the deaths of three people.  Orcas have always freaked me out, probably because they are usually called Killer Whales, but this movies does a wonderful job highlighting their intelligence and social bonds. It is a tear-jerker, but also thought-provoking. It is currently on Netflix, if you are interested.

Sactown Throwdown
This is the largest CrossFit competition in the Sacramento region.  Last year it was held in the dirt at the Placerville Fairgrounds, this year it moved on up to the Sleep Train Area. It was awesome to see CrossFit growing and cheer the CrossFit Centurion teams!

Icing on the Cupcake
Cupcakes!This is a local business, that unfortunately closed it doors this month. My sister and I went one last time to enjoy a freshly-backed gourmet cupcake, but they had already closed..  In honor of these delicious cupcakes, the monthly favorites posts will feature a picture of these beautiful treats. Miss you already Icing on the Cupcake!

That's it for January.  What did you enjoy this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment