Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Reading Reviews- October 2013

     It was a busy month for doing and a slow month for reading. I started several books and just could not get into them ( I didn't even bother mentioning them below). The three I did read were okay.

The Brief History of Dead by Kevin Brockmeier

     This was a interesting concept of "purgatory" and definitely an original take on the apocalyptic tales so many books are about these days.  Some of the character breakout stories seemed dragged out and not important to the overall story development. The end of the story is kind of a fizzle.
Verdict:  I think it would have worked better as a short story, but I would still recommend this because of its originality.

Eighty Days by Matthew Goodman

     This is a story of an around the world trip competition between two woman in the Victorian era. They both made it around the world "unchaperoned." Sounds interesting, but I found the telling of the story not at all interesting. It was like reading a book report by a high schooler (no offensive high school- you don't get paid to write).  I could barely get through the first two chapters.
Verdict: I could not get through it and ended up cheating and just checking wikipedia for who won.  Spoiler alert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

Wired by Douglas E. Richards

     Usually I am not into the mystery/thriller genre, but it said NY Times Bestseller so I thought I would give it a try. It is part conspiracy theory, part romance novel and part save the world.  This book can best be described as superficially deep.  I didn't completely hate it, I just wanted to like it more.
Verdict: I won't be reading the sequel "Amped"

Just not a good month for reading I guess?  What did I do with all that extra time- YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. The Hairpin just listed The Brief History of the Dead as a spooky novel for Halloween. I grabbed a sample for my kindle. I also just started The Young Unicorns (Madeleine L'Engle), which made the Hairpin list as well. I somehow never got into the Austin family series (A Wrinkle in Time et. al. are the Murray family series), so I'm gonna try them now.

    ReplyDelete