Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY Halloween Costume I: The Plan

This is the first  installment of  my quest to make my own Halloween costume.  I struggle with all thing related to fashion and crafting, so this is going to be a challenge.  

    I know Halloween is weeks away, but the earlier I start on my costume the better!  Last year, I was in a total panic. I ordered 7 costumes on-line and prayed one of them fit. One did fit, the last one that I got!  You can imagine how stressed I was with 6 costume fails.  Yet I am not complaining, Halloween is a fun holiday and I like dressing up. I just need to get better at it!

     This year I decided to start very early (I started mid-September).  Looking at the pre-made costumes, your choices are slutty or matronly. There doesn't seem to be anything that is in between. I wanted something that is cute and little sexy.  I decided I am going to Do-It-Myself (DIY) this year.  This is going to be a challenge because crafting is not a natural talent I possess. Thank goodness there is Pintrest for ideas and YouTube for instructional videos.

     My costume idea is peacock. So far I've got the blue dress.  I ordered 6 different dresses and this one came last (again)! It was a good fit and nice color, so the crafting can begin.  My costume crafting plan is:

  • Make a peacock tail out of  multi-colored tulle
  • Make a feather hair piece and a clip for the tulle tail ribbon
  • Learn how to do a peacock eye with makeup
     I am going to be posting each step, to help keep my progress in check. I am simultaneously excited and worried.  One of the reasons I find crafting frustrating is it never turns out like I picture it in my head.  Oh well, I am going to give it a try and hopefully there is minimal crying and gnashing of teeth. DIY- a trick or a treat?

No comments:

Post a Comment