Thursday, October 10, 2013

DIY Halloween Costume II: A Tail of Tulle

This is the second installment of  my quest to make my own Halloween costume.  I struggle with all thing related to fashion and crafting, so this is going to be a challenge. My goal is a DIY peacock. Something that is not overly sexy, but still cute. So far, I've got a blue dress. This week's task is to make peacock tail out of multi-colored tulle.

     I  got the idea for a tail of tulle from Pintrest.  I heard that making a tutu was pretty easy and I thought why not do a half tutu and call it a tail? Brilliant-right?!  My next stop was YouTube for an instructional demonstration.  Remember I am bad a crafting, so even if something is considered "easy," I worry.  You Tube reassured me and I was ready to get some tulle and start.
     To foolproof this crafting event, I decided to order Tulle Spool.  The tulle comes on a roll, six inches in width, so all I would need to do is cut it to the desired length. Choosing the "right" colors was the hardest part of this project. Why does tulle come in so many different colors? I finally decided on navy blue, royal blue, purple and emerald green.  I also got some iridescent teal ribbon. 
     I felt very prepared and began working on it as soon as I got the supplies. I decided to cut the tulle into different lengths (6ft, 4 ft, 5ft and 3ft- folded over it is half the length).  I had an idea of what I wanted, but remained flexible to changing the plan up as needed. This was key to me not having a crafting meltdown.  The tulle was really easy to work with and the colors went well together. What really made it pop is the iridescent ribbon.



     Honestly, the picture does not do the colors justice. In person, it is flowly and sparkly- very flirty! I actually had a lot of fun making the tail.  I think I may have some creativity in me. In fact, check out the Rice Kracker Girl FaceBook page this week to see what I did with all the leftover creativity and tulle :)
Links:    
Pintrest
YouTube
Tulle Spool
Iridescent Ribbon

No comments:

Post a Comment