Thursday, October 31, 2013

DIY Halloween Costume V: Happy Halloween!

   

     Happy Halloween!  This is the final installment of my quest to make my own Halloween costume and I think I actually pulled it off!  Last year, I stressed about my Halloween attire.  This year, I enjoyed making and wearing my costume. 
    I was very hesitant to do a DIY costume. I didn't think I had much crafting skill.  My costume wasn't perfect or professional looking, but I was okay with that. It was fun, flirty and comfortable. So what where my DIY takeaways:
Cons:
  • Cost. DIY does not mean cheaper.  The costume http://www.costumecraze.com/SA970.html I was considering buying was about $200. I ended up almost spending that much on my DIY peacock (dress $85, tulle and ribbon $40, feather and tiara $25)
  • Time.  I spend a good amount of time planning and crafting. Clicking a button online and typing in a credit card number would have been a lot faster.
  • Quality.  I am a perfectionist and my costume definitely looked DIY. Also there were no guarantees that any of my ideas or plans would work.

Pros:
  • Crafting confidence.  It got the creative juices flowing.  I really enjoyed planning it out and being crafty.
  • Multiple uses.  I have a semi-dressy blue dress that I can wear again. (I already planned to pair it with a lace jacket and wear it to my birthday dinner).  Also the leftover tulle was used to make other outfits (see the Facebook page for the mini Roxy peacock and Octoberfest running tutu).
  • New Skills.  I learned some new skills in makeup and tutu making that will last me beyond Halloween. I may also get a color analysis done and really get my style on.

     Would I DIY a Halloween costume again?  Absolutely! Thank you for following along on my crafting adventure.  I hope you all have a wonderful and safe Halloween.  May it be all treats and no tricks!


No comments:

Post a Comment