Friday, March 29, 2013

Reading Reviews- March 2013

I am kinda of surprised this much reading got done this month since the weather has warmed up.  This month's reading was definitely  more about learning something than reading for pleasure, but there will still some gems.

Rich Food, Poor Food by Jason and Mira Calton

    My first impression was- this is a fabulous book! It is beautifully laid out with practical information and advice on the current state of food.  They named names- which brands are good, better and very bad.  I brought the book to the grocery store and could find very few of the brands they recommended. That was incredibly disappointing.
Verdict:  Nope. Unless you don't mind grocery shopping online. Most of their recommendations can be ordered that way.

Fun Inc.: Why Gaming Will Dominate the 21st Century by Tom Chatfield

     I have never been into video games, so I thought this book would help me understand.  I really tried to keep an open mind. The author lost me at Chapter 6, which was dedicated to his online game of choice- World of Warcraft. The author did his best to convince me that video games are good. They facilitate learning, create social interactions and generate revenue.  All I have to say to that is so does real life.
Verdict: If you love gaming, but feel guilty about spending so much time online, this book will help you feel better. Game on gamers!

Personal Finance for Dummies by Eric Tyson

    Yes, yes I know I said I need to stop reading these Dummy books, but this one was actually good!  I liked that it covered the logistical things of managing your finances but also the emotions we attach to money.  The chapters were clearly marked, so you could skip around to the ones that most applied to you.
Verdict: This is one (and only, so far) Dummy book I recommend!

Heads in Beds by Jacob Tommsky

    This is a hilarious memoir of a hotel employee's experience.  I've never really liked staying in hotels and this book didn't help, but I will be amused the next time I stay at one. Besides funny stories, he also gives practical tips for how to have a better experience (Hint: tip the front desk for an upgrade or perks).
Verdict:  This is one of the cleverest book I have ever read!  Highly recommend!

How to Quickly Get Started as a Personal Coach by Christian Mickelsen

   My MBA is now 5 years "old" and I feel the need to do something more. Coaching maybe? Well I do have a degree in psychology.  This was a good starter book. It is kinda brilliant the way the author uses this opportunity to promote the Coach Training Program he has developed.
Verdict: I thought it was good. I plan on reading more books on becoming a coach, so not sure how this one will hold up.

Life Coaching: A Manual for Helping Professionals by Davis Ellis

   This book was on the opposite of the continuum, which made it a great contrast to the other life coaching book I read this month.  The author shares his guiding philosophy, as well as providing practical tips for being a life coach. After reading this book, I don't think life coaching is for me, because I like to tell people what to do- that is called consulting :)
Verdict:  This book was a very good read and guide. Would recommend if you are considering doing life coaching.


Articles of the Month:

Lately I've felt like sitting 8 hours a day is crippling me, so this article inspired me to spend less time in chairs.  In fact, I sat on the floor, while writing this post. "Floor Living: Do you spend enough time on the ground?" http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2MgUTBhMY

Coffee going GMO because of coffee rust- oh no! Better stock up on the Hawaii stuff:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/25/coffee-rust-cenicafe_n_2935249.html

No comments:

Post a Comment