Friday, March 22, 2013

Juicer Recipes for Winter Produce


Last month, I finally got a juicer and it has been a tasty adventure!  I had a case of the winters blahs and decided to give juicing a try.  After a week, I felt increased energy, my skin looked better and my nails were growing like crazy. Nutrients are awesome!

Here are my three favorite recipes using winter produce:

Beets (2), Carrots (2), Apple (1) and Ginger (a small sliver)- the ginger adds a nice tang to this natural energy drink.  This is really the best of winter produce combined.

Mandarin Oranges (5), Carrots (2) and Basil (5 leaves)-  citrus is also in season and the carrots help to mellow out it out, while the basil gives it a fresh taste.

Sweet Potato (1), Carrots (2), and Pineapple (1 cup cubed)- who knew you could juice a sweet potato?  They really do make a good base like carrots, they helped to mellow out the pineapple. 

General tips:


  • Use in season veggies and fruit because they will taste the best.  I juiced a tomato, which is not in season in March. Yuck!
  • Wash produce very very well.  If not you will taste dirt in your juice.
  • Use organic produce, so you don't get the residue of pesticides in your juice.
  • Carrots are a wonderful base . They help mellow out the flavor of other veggies and fruits.
  • Apples are perfect for sweetening up any juice.
  • Try different veggies and fruits.  However, I found that if I don't enjoy them cooked or raw, then I don't enjoy them juiced either-  I am talking about you celery.
  • Use different herbs and spices to add a new dimension of flavor.


The juicer is just one more way to enjoy the seasons.  Shopping at the Farmer's Market makes this affordable and ensures the produce is actually in-season.   Next up is Spring and that means peaches, cucumbers and asparagus. I can't wait to try new combinations and flavors! 

If you live in California, this is a great resource for discovering what is in-season:
http://localfoods.about.com/od/searchbyregion/a/CAFruitsVeggies.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment