Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sit/Stand Workstation

   

     I have a sit/stand work station!  Oh Happy Day!  Sitting all day long has been causing me a lot of pain and costing me a lot of money at the chiropractor. About 4 months ago, I asked my boss for a modification. It took an ergonomic review and 4 months of patience negotiation, but I finally got my wish.
    I have been using the new workstation for about 2 weeks and the improvement in my well-being was almost immediate.  After the first day, I could feel the difference- less low back pain.  I also feel my overall mobility has improved- moving hurts less.
    One thing that surprised me is the dose of standing. I thought I would sit for an hour and then stand for an hour. Turns out, standing for an hour is not comfortable. Right now I find standing for 20 minutes every hour is a good balance. I also try to move around a little bit while standing i.e. shifting weight between feet or just gentle rocking. 
     My co-worker's reaction has been positive and enthusiastic. There seems to be widespread awareness that Sitting is the new Smoking   "The more you sit, the poorer your health and the earlier you may die, no matter how fit you are."  Several have even requested their own sit/stand workstation.  I kinda feel like the trend setter.
     So would I recommend a sit/stand workstation? Absolutely!  This may end up being the biggest health improvement of 2014.  What do you guys think about sit/stand workstation?  Do you have them in your workplace?

No comments:

Post a Comment