Thursday, March 13, 2014

Eggplant Lasagna


     I love eggplant and am always trying to find ways to add it into dishes.  Here I use it construct a pasta-less lasagna.  It is easy and tasty!

     First. slice the eggplant and soak in salt water for 5 minutes. This helps reduce the bitterness. Especially when eggplant is not in season and at its peak flavor.  Remove slices from water and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet and cook in oven for 35 minutes at 400 degrees, until tender.

     While the eggplant was baking, I prepared the marinara sauce . Since I had made this earlier, I was able to defrost a portion and add 1 lb of ground beef.  I also added some dried herbs (oregano, basil and rosemary).  I let simmer on stove until the eggplant was ready.

     Then comes the fun part- assembly. I put down a slice of eggplant and generously covered with marinara sauce. Then another eggplant, etc, etc. Make as many layers as you wants. I topped with some grated cheese.

     This is a hearty meal with extra credit for veggies via the eggplant and the sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment