Thursday, December 26, 2013

Reading Reviews- December 201

     I counted and this year I managed to read 85 books!  Reading is an adventure and you never quite know what you are in for- some were good, some were bad and a few were really terrible.  Here are my December reads and my top 10 for 2013!
 
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

     I have been wanting to read this book for some time, but the library did not have a kindle version, so I finally got it as an audio book.  I did enjoy listening to it, but thought the author might have tried a little to hard to incorporate historical events.  The whole story almost felt a little forced, but it was overall good.
Verdict: I had heard so much hype from it being made into a movie.  It was good.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

     After going to see "Catching Fire" at the theater, I had to re-read the third book of the Hunger Games series.  This book doesn't have the happiest of ending. Things are better, but Katniss is permanently damaged.  I wonder how they will end the third movie, because American movies tend to end with a "happily ever after" feel.
Verdict: The whole series is good and they are doing a really good job with the movies too. Highly Recommend.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by J.R.R. Tolkien

     I haven't read this book in years, but with the second movie coming out I read it again.  It is a good story, but the movies really do bring it to life and make it better.
Verdict: You can skip the book and just see the movie (and this isn't something I say often).

Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood

    This is the final book of the trilogy, which brings the narrative and characters from books one and two together.  I really liked this story- it kept me interested and moved me.  The author did a wonderful job bringing the story to a hopeful and satisfying conclusion.
Verdict:  This book series were part of my top 10 favorites for the whole year.

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris

     This is a collection of personal essays by the author. I got this via audio book and the author read them himself, which gave it an even more personal touch.  The author is definite honest and has a knack for bringing seemingly random together together.
Verdict: I don't know if I would have continued reading the book, but I did enjoy listening to the audio book at work.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon
  
     Per the author's title, this is what Downton Abbey is based on.  There is a castle and a town and a staff to run it, however, the TV show does it better.  This book is written like a book report based on a collection of hearsay.  It is an uninteresting mix of facts and guesses.
Verdict:  If you like the show, watch the show. This book will not add to your enjoyment.

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt

     I listened to the author's podcast "This is Your Life" and was pleasantly surprised the kindle edition of this book was only $2.99.  As in the podcast, the advise is practical and well-laid out.  I actually took notes.
Verdict: Totally worth the price and I suggest checking out the podcast.

 
Here are my top 10 recommendations from 2013:

1.  The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.  This was my favorite book of the year. It was a moving story told from the perspective of a dog (and I am a sucker for dogs!).

2.  The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker.  This story was engaging and the ending quite surprised me. The world didn't end and people never gave up hope. This was a beautiful story of people adapting to change and still living life.

3.  Cooked by Michael Pollan.  I love the topic of food and Michael Pollan is a such a gifted writer, who has an ability to weave together stories and facts into a bigger commentary.

4.  Gone Girl by Gillan Flynn.  I was fully expecting to roll my eyes at this popular novel, but instead I got pulled in and even I couldn't guess the ending.  It is crazy good!

5.  Good Kings, Bad Kings by Susan Nussbaum.  This book started off sad, got dark but ended with a lot of hope. Good people can make a difference, even when the odds are against them.

6.  Heads in Beds by Jacob Tommsky.  Have you ever worked in the service industry?  Do you stay in hotels?  You will truly appreciate this memoir for its witty stories and practical advice. 

7.  The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.  This I read along with taking a self-defense class and I think everyone should read it.  The basic message is trust your instinct, fear is your friend.

8,9 &10.   Margaret Atwood's post apocalyptic trilogy of Oryx and CrakeThe Year of the Flood and Maddaddam.  I read a lot of post-apocalyptic tales this year, this was by far the most engaging and original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment