Thursday, December 12, 2013

DIY Christmas Wreath

   

     I finally have a Christmas wreath! I've searched for years, but have never been willing to shell out the $40-60 the stores want for one of those. I've even looked at the "discount" stores like Home Goods and still I thought the price was steep.  So when my sister said she wanted to make Christmas wreaths, I agreed hesitantly. For some reason, it just seemed hard, 

     I studied up on You Tube and found a video that used a wire hanger to string the ornaments on.  The women bought cheap balls at the dollar store and had to glue each top to the ornaments so they wouldn't fall off. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was 80 balls!  

     Fortunately, my sister had a better plan.  She found wire frames at JoAnn's for $3 that the ornaments could be tied too. Now we did have some cheap dollar store balls that did fall off after being attached. So I recommend either purchasing better quality ornaments or gluing each and every top on so the ornaments stay put.  

     The wire frame had 6 sections so I attached about 5 ornaments to each section with pieces of pipe cleaner.  Then I filled in the space by wrapping garland around the ornaments, This added a fullness to the wreath and further helped secure the ornaments in place.  There were still some gaps so I filled those in with smaller silver balls and used wire to secure those.  I also added two sparkly bows!

     For  about $20 I made my own Christmas wreath. It was easy and fun, it just took some patience and time.  I am impressed at how nice it turned out.  It looks like something I could have paid $40-60 for at the store.  If you have been wanting a wreath, this post is for you. This would also make a nice gift.  Thank you to my sister for suggesting this DIY project! 

No comments:

Post a Comment