Monday, July 1, 2013

Lessons from a Box Jump Fail

     It took me 8 months to do a box jump.  20 vertical inches onto a wooden box.  I was always wary of "missing" and hurting myself.  I watched others miss and sacrifice a piece of their shins. So I was always careful.  Hundreds of successful box jumps, but finally it happened. I missed one...

   
     I prepared myself for a psychological meltdown. I looked down at my shin expecting gushing blood and instead found a small bruise.  Finally, my fears had come true.  I was ready to go into panic mode, but fortunately a coach stepped in and told me to keep going. So I did. I finished the workout, which means I did more box jumps and I wasn't afraid.  My shin was bruised, my spirit wasn't. Amen!

     However, there was more to be learned. That small bruise turned into big bruise that went from below my knee cap to my ankle. That was ugly, but what was truly concerning was the swelling. My calf was the size of my hip.  I am new to being an athlete and this is my first significant injury.  I got an x-ray just to reassure myself nothing was broken.  I did have accept that I would be resting and recovering until the swelling was "resolved."

     Taking time off of CrossFit was a harsh adjustment.  I love CrossFit and hated being injured and away, but as the swelling went down the pain started and I knew I need to heal.  The physical healing made slow progress.  What surprised me was the mental healing.  Some people call it overtraining, others under-recovery, but I really did need a break physically and mentally.  I was reminded that my top priority was health not physical activity.  Sometime health means taking a break.

     My shin really took one for the team.  It taught me two important things:  1) I don't fear box jumps I respect them, but I hope to never miss one again 2) Rest is just as important as training.  I am learning when to push myself and when to take it easy. I never thought taking it easy would be so hard.  But I'll be back up on that box again!


No comments:

Post a Comment