Monday, July 22, 2013

Farmer's Market

     Have you ever tasted sunshine?  I think I did in a cherry tomato. Last week, I had a corn on the cob so sweet, it was hard to believe I was eating my veggies.  After a lifetime of avoiding cantaloupe, the sweet perfume of  perfectly ripened one lured me in and turns out I like cantaloupe. I got all of these at my locals farmer market. I also wanted to get some eggs, but turns out heat waves make chickens lazy and unproductive.  (I can totally related to the chickens).

     I used to be intimidated by the seeming chaos of a farmer's market. People everywhere, foods you don't know how to cook and you have to use cash!  Plus they only sell what is in season (sometimes I want an apple in July, so I get one from the grocery store, but it doesn't compare to how they taste in the fall).  Then they are times where farmer's just don't have eggs to sell you.  I've also heard complaints about it being too expensive, but after a couple of years of shopping at farmer's markets, I don't find that to be true about the produce. Meat and eggs-a little more expensive- yes.

     It took some adjustments, but eating locally and in season produce is like tasting real food for the first time.  Shopping the farmer's market does take planning.  I think about my menu for the week and how much cash I need to bring.  For about $50  a week I get eggs for breakfast, 2 lbs of ground beef for my lunch of chili and an assortment of in season fruits and vegetables.

     Right now the market is at its absolute peak!  The spring fruits: peaches, apricots, cherries and berries are still making their appearance. Plus all the summer produce is arriving: melons, sweet onions, tomatoes, etc. etc.  I often buy too much and have to eat extra portions of veggies and fruits to enjoy it all! 

     I recently watched a documentary "In Organic We Trust" and felt my commitment to shopping locally reaffirmed.  Local is better than organic.  It is better for the environment and better for your health. It is also delicious.  So if you have been thinking about visiting a Farmer's Market, now is the absolute best time!

No comments:

Post a Comment