Monday, July 15, 2013

Rocking Tape

     Elastic therapeutic tape or kinesilogy tape is my new friend.  Meant for multi-day use even through workouts, the best explanation of kinesiology tape is from a WSJ article "it allows the muscles to go on vacation for a day or two so they come back healed."  With my box jump injury, I finally had an opportunity to try it out.  See there is a silver lining to recovering an injury.

     The tape claims to improve circulation, reduce pressure and swelling, support and heal muscle injuries and alleviate pain.  Rocktape takes its a step further and claims their product enhances range of motion and athletic performance.  Scientist are still looking for significant evidence for any of these claims. One thing is clear, it looks cool! Rocktape comes in 10 different colors and 12 designs. I ordered a roll of "tattoo."



    While my order was shipping, I studied up on the best taping method for my injury.  There is a YouTube video for every body part and injury. In my case, I had a swollen shin so I was taping for "micro-circulatory application."  Sounds technical, but it was simple to apply.

     I used the Rocktape at CrossFit, yoga and a 5k (that I walked).  It made my injury feel cuddled and helped control the swelling.  It was least effective at yoga. Perhaps because yoga is an hour long or just requires me to put a lot of pressure on my shin?  Otherwise, I really like Rocktape. My only complaint is there is no way the tape would stay on for multiple days. Since I wanted to be able to remove it at the end of a workout, even that was plus.

About Kinesiology Tape

Order Rocktape from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment