Thursday, June 27, 2013

Reading Reviews- June 2013

This month had some really good reads and some really bad reads...

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

    This was an excellent story and I  can't wait to see the movie for the visuals!  The fate of the world rests on children and video games- simply scary and fascinating.
Verdict:  A quick, easy and interesting read.  The movie might make it even more awesome!

Sweet Hell on Fire by Sara Lunsford

    An insightful memoir of what it is like to work in a prison and be a personal prison of pain.  The author actually dreamed of being a writer, but decided to be a prison guard to pay the bills. Strange choice of a "day job."  The twist in the story comes almost at the end and it contrasts the strength and vulnerability of the author.
Verdict: Read it, unless you are easily offended. This is rated R content.

Unbeatable Mind by Mark Divine

     I am not trying to be a Navy Seal, but I thought I could learn something from that kind of tough mentality. Turns out, not really.  He recommends cultivating a quiet mind and I already got that message from yoga.  I did learn where the CrossFit motto run, walk, crawl comes from- the Seals of course!
Verdict:  This manual was written not for me.

Choose Yourself! by James Altucher

     The economy changed for good in 2008 and the American Dream is just a dream.  This book covers what to do next.  It is part self-help, part practical advice.
Verdict:  It was so unique, I wrote a blog post about it

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

     Imagine a world where the earth's rotation is slowing down, wrecking the balance between day and night. The whole world changes. This story is told from an eleven year old's perspective, whose life is already changing with adolescence.  It is a moving story with the backdrop of an interesting apocalyptic phenomenon.
Verdict: Oprah recommends it and so do I.

Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv

     My generation has become disconnected with nature, but the current generation has no connection with nature. Electronic devices provide so much more sensory stimulus. The author presents his case for reclaiming nature. He cites that exploring nature was his "Ritalin."
Verdict:  Spending time in nature is important, I just couldn't get into this book and skimmed it.

The $60,000 Dog: My Life with Animals by Lauren Slater

     The title is misleading. This is a story about her messed up childhood, not animals. I would like to say this book was terrible, but that doesn't seem fair since I only got through the first chapter (in which her mom kills the family dog with NyQuil because he barks too much at night).  Before I quit reading it, I did read the reviews and they confirmed this book was not really about animals.
Verdict:  From what I did read, it was not an interesting story and the author writing style is rambling.  My biggest issue is that it needs to be retitled, so that animal lovers don't get sucked in.

$20 Per Gallon by Christopher Steiner

     A fascinating look at how our society will change will the rising cost of gas.  The author actually paints a picture of good news- our health and the environment will benefit. We will live in cities, eat locally grown food and use public transportation.  The chapters outlines the incremental changes that will happen when the price of gas moved from $6, $8, $10...$20.
Verdict: Highly recommend if you need some hopeful news for the future.

The Host by Stephanie Meyer

     Popular culture always tempts me, so I couldn't pass up reading this book. It was a fairly original idea told in a most unoriginal way.  The main character is very much like Bella was in Twilight- always getting injured, has 2 guys in love with her, etc.  I guess I shouldn't judge it too harshly as it is written for a tween audience.
Verdict: Like Twilight, I didn't love it or hate it.

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

     Another post-apocalyptic story.  This time it was a flu. This got really good reviews, but I found the story and writing flat. The ending is not conclusive. It leaves you wondering.
Verdict: I am wondering why I read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment