Wednesday, May 2, 2012

6 Things I Love About Yoga

I started doing yoga about 2 months ago, as a means for surviving CrossFit. This is kind of like getting another dog for your first dog, but hey sometimes that is how things work out for the best.  CrossFit is, of course, my first love but I am developing a real affection for my yoga flows. 
#6 My natural flexibility is appreciated
I am told I am “freakishly” flexible, which usually works against me at CrossFit. My form is sometimes very off because I can manipulate my arms or legs in directions no one else can. But at yoga, my flexibility ensures I am never bad at it. Even on my first day, I was not the worst in the room.  I am not saying I am the best in the room either, but my non-athletic self will take whatever praise it can get.
#5 Expanded Music Horizons
I had no idea there were so many songs written for a yoga practice and in every genre imaginable (i.e. reggae, rock, spiritual). I am also surprised to learn that AWOLNATION’s “Sail” can perfectly accompany a CrossFit WOD or a yoga flow.  Going to yoga class is like hitting the shuffle button on a universal iTunes. It is always an interesting mix.  I feel like am getting a musical education as a bonus.
#4 Child’s Pose
Yoga’s philosophy of “doing what is best for your body” was a complete contrast to CrossFit.  In CrossFit, there is no quitting and resting means take 3 breaths and then keep it going. In yoga, if you need rest, you put yourself in Child’s Pose and the instructor comes by and gives you a neck or back massage. You can imagine my reaction the first time I saw this happen- happy shock!  There is merit to pushing yourself and there is merit in pacing yourself.  I love having the option of Child’s Pose available to me.
#3 It is a haven for introverts
The American culture exalts the socialable extrovert. There are very few public places, besides the library, where being quiet and keeping to yourself is okay.  At the yoga studio, it is perfectly acceptable to roll out your mat, lie down and close your eyes until class starts.  As an introvert this is absolute heaven, especially after a day at work.
 #2 The Soft Struggle
Yoga is not meant to be a hardcore beat down. The pace and expectations are reasonable and you always have the option of Child’s Pose. Yet, I do struggle with myself on the mat.   In some way, facing the gentle reluctance is almost harder than facing a hardcore WOD.  You know you can do it, but something in you says just give up, take the path of least resistance.  There is really a sense of accomplishment in pushing it through it and making it through a practice.
#1 It is affordable therapy
Yoga is 90 minutes of self-care time.  It is just you and your mat and someone giving “suggestions” on what you should be doing.  It is a time to soak up positive affirmations from the instructors.  Classes generally also have  themes like “is there something in your life you need to let go of?”  or “is there something you want?”  Sometimes they read inspirational stories or have you mediate on gratitude.  I’ve left every yoga class feeling better than when I started. It is like going to the spa and church all at once!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment