Monday, May 21, 2012

Running the 5k


Team CrossFit Centurion

 I am not a runner. In fact, I used to say, "Rani doesn't run." But over the past 7 months, Rani now does a lot of things she couldn't/wouldn't do. I am still not a runner, but I am a team player. So when my CrossFit box asked for us to participate in the Star6 Memorial run, I signed up to do a 5k.  I actually did this exact 5k in 2010.  I even trained three times a week using the Couch-2-5K running app. My time was 37:15.

This year, my goal was to beat that 37:15. This time around, I did no specific running training, just my normal CrossFit and yoga routine. And you know what?  I did beat my time by 5 minutes and came in 8th for my age division. Guess this CrossFit thing really does work.

But the real reason, I did so well is because my fellow CrossFit Centurion teammates were encouraging me on. Every time we passed each other there was a smile and wave of support. There were several moments where I really really wanted to stop running and start walking, but my girl Lauren and I stuck it out together. We kept each other going.  We ran that entire 5k!  Here we are crossing the finish line together. All smiles.


Apparently, you can successfully run a 5k, without specifically preparing for it. CrossFit teaches you not to quit, even when it gets hard. It all ensures you've got a support system. It gives you confidence. It prepares you mentally and physically for more than you can imagine.  When will I stop being surprised that those things I once thought impossible, are possible? What can I say? Rani runs.


Star6 Memorial Run: http://www.star6.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment