Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Kitchen



    I first heard about the The Kitchen a couple of years ago.  A farm-to-fork fine dining experience sounded right up my alley. But the menu is preset and I am a picky eater.  I forgot all about it, until this year.  A co-worker randomly shared her experience with me and then I went to a party catered by a chef from The Kitchen. Oh my!  It was like I had never tasted food before and I knew it was time for me to experience it!

      I had to make reservations 2 months in advance and the menu was still unknown.  Having tasted the chef's talent, I decided I would at least try everything.  Fortunately, the November 2013 menu looked amazing:

first course: A Caesar Salad of Brassicas
Petite Broccoli, Romanesco, Cauliflower, Cured Ebodai & Duck Egg Dressing

second course:  Warm Mussel and Sunchoke Soup with Butter Poached Lobster, Creme Anise & Flowering Herbs

third course (Intermission):  You are invited to explore the kitchen and interact with the chefs.  Various stations were set up and I got to sample sushi, pork sausage, oysters, soft shell shrimp, potato salad and a squash soup.

fourth course: Carnaroli Risotto with Italian White Truffles

fifth course: Roulade of Wagyu Beef, Gratin of Okinawan Sweet Potatoes & Roasted Beets

sixth course: "Sweet Potato PIe"
Sweet Potato Cremeaux, Tahitian Vanilla Sable, Bourbon Marshmallow, Maple Meringue & Buttermilk Gelato

     Everything was very well balance in flavor, the presentation was immaculate and it was a very interactive.  The abundance of squashes really reflected the in-season element. The white truffles in the risotto was a last minute addition,as they were able to acquire a limited amount. The only drawback for me was it lasted 4,5 hours, which was just too long.  But overall, I relished this culinary experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment