Thursday, November 7, 2013

Republic of Tea Reviews


If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited it will calm you. ~William Ewart Gladstone

     A good tea is such a treat.  I've been finding my taste in tea and giving loose leaf teas a try. I stumbled upon a good selection at Whole Foods.  They actually have them in bulk jars, which I liked, because I was allowed to smell them first. Loose leaf tea is so much more flavorful-sometimes this is good and sometimes this is bad. Here are the 6 varieties I tried:

Silver Rain (white tea)
    
     Grassy with a subtle smokey flavor and, to me, it has a dry finish.  It is low caffeine so perfect if you want to have some tea in the evening without it messing up your sleep.  Also pretty good iced, but because it is such a light flavor you have to brew a substantial amount to have it cold.  I liked it and will continue to drink it.

Lapsang Souchon (black tea)

     I was warned this tea has a very bold flavor. It is smoked over pinewood embers and it pretty much smells like smoke.  The tea is definitely bold.  At first it punches you in the face and then it mellows out into a nice after taste. I don't love it, but I don't hate it.  It kinda reminds me of the flavor profile of a complex beer.

Moroccan Mint (green tea)

     I love mint tea and wanted so desperately to like this one.  I found it bitter and the mint had a fruity, yet medicine-like flavor to it. It also had a long after taste. Multiple brewing seemed to bring out the bitter taste even more.  It was a little better iced, but this is not something I will continue to drink.

Cardamon Cinnamon Herbal Tea

     This is an inviting fragrance that reminds me of the holidays. Since I am not a huge pumpkin fan, this is perfect for me. I enjoyed the pleasant blend of spices and decided to use it as a base for some mulled apple cider.  But the second time I had it, I noticed it had a licorice flavor, which I don't like and couldn't get past.

Chai (black tea with spices)

     I am a huge fan of Chai.  I enjoy it hot and cold.  This Chai was peppery. I mean peppery!! I tried it hot and really had a hard time drinking it.  I added some almond milk, hoping to tame it down. No luck, it contrasted the pepper to make it even more peppery.  I found a chai that I don't like at all.

Yerba Matte (herbal tea)

     I saved the best for last. I LOVE this tea! The description says it all "a deep, sweet, chocolaty infusion." It has a rich, warm delicious body, It taste wonderful by itself or with a splash of almond milk.  The tea leaves can be brewed multiple times and it has some a beautiful mix of purple and yellow in the mix.

     So I was on the search for a good mint and chai tea. I found Zhena's Gypsy Tea in Egyptian Mint and Chocolate Chai.  They aren't loose leaf teas, but they are very good.  I will keep searching for loose leaf versions though.  I am really enjoy tea even more with all the loose leaf varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment