Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup


     I love soup weather!  I threw this recipe together and have been enjoying it as a side dish with dinner.  I used bacon lard to saute the veggies, which gave this soup a nice smokey flavor.  It is thick and hearty.
 
Ingredients:
 
Butternut squash, cubed
Chopped carrots, celery and onions
Vegetable broth
Cooking oil (I used bacon lard)
 
Preparation:
 
  • I cheated a little with the veggies and bought pre-cubed butternut squash and mirepoix (chopped carrots, celery and onions) from Trader Joes. 
  •  I put the cubed butternut squash on a pan, drizzled with olive oil and baked it for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • I sauteed the mirepoix in bacon lard* in a pot for 10 minutes.Then I added the butternut squash, and vegetable broth.  I broth to a boil and then simmered for 40 minutes on the stove.
  • I then pureed it in a blender and added salt and pepper to taste.
 
     I also thought about adding some coconut milk to make it a little creamier, but wasn't sure how that would go with the bacon flavoring.  Maybe next time. For now, this soup is delicious and freezes well, so I have been enjoying it over the past weeks.

*I bake bacon on a pan and filter the remaining grease. I save this bacon lard for other cooking. It really adds a nice layer of flavor to dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment