Thursday, November 14, 2013

Standing Desk Project

      I have been wanting a standing desk for some time now, because sitting all day is killing my lower back.  My cubicle space had a cabinet hanging from ever wall, so elevating a computer monitor was not possible. When a new cubicle space opened up and I saw it had an open wall, I started planning my stand up desk!!!

     Now you can buy a pneumatic sitting/standing workstation for $500, but there are cheaper DIY options. So I started searching the interwebs and came across this YouTube video.  I knew this was the hack I had been looking for: simple, affordable and it used Ikea furniture. Here is the stuff needed from Ikea:
  • Lack table 
  • 2 Ekby Lerberg Brackets
  • Ekby Laiva shelf
  • 4 screws

     I told my boss and he seemed very open to the idea, but once he saw the You Tube video he deemed it "jankie".  My dream of a stand-up work station was shut down.  However, I wanted to share this information in hopes someone else can take advantage of it.  If you need convincing siting is bad for your health, read these articles:
     If anyone else has other suggestions please let me know.  I am not giving up on this yet and neither is my chiropractor.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment