Monday, May 6, 2013

The Happiness Podcast

     Recently I discovered this gem, Happiness Cheat Codes- the podcast that gives you the cheat codes for the game of life.   Founder Larry Pitts says, “I thought it would be really cool to try to create specific tasks based on the findings from researchers that might actually make people happier.”   I have been following along on the happiness missions.
     Each week I tune in to a brief podcast where Larry describes the mission and difficulty levels.  For example, Mission 11 was to write about your best possible future self:
           Easy- write for 20 minutes 2 times in the week
           Normal- write for 20 minutes 3 times in the week
           Hard- write for 20 minutes 4 times in the week
     I chose to do the Normal level and wrote about my future self in 5 years, 15 years and 30 years. I started with 30 years first, following the adage “begin with the end in mind.”  Coincidentally, I had been thinking about writing out a life plan and so this was the perfect assignment. This mission helped me to describe my ideal future. It was actually stressful at first, but once I got done I did feel happier. I wrote in one block of about an hour, rather than the 3 sessions of 20 minutes.
     I am enjoying these weekly mini challenges.  There is also a FaceBook page set up for people to share and converse about their experiences.  The Podcast can be found at http://happinesscheatcodes.com or you can subscribe through iTunes.  If you are looking for a way to incorporate some change into your busy life, give this podcast a try- it’s fun!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, this was a short-lived podcast. It came to an end 6/7/13, but the existing episodes will be on the website: http://happinesscheatcodes.com

    ReplyDelete