Monday, May 27, 2013

Reading Reviews- May 2013

A lot of good reading this month...

Cooked by Michael Pollan

     I read this and fell in love with cooking (again).   Michael Pollan has a talent for weaving together stories and information and this book kept me interested (and hungry) the whole way through.  Then he brought it to a higher level:  "Cooking is all about connection, I've learned, between us and other species, other time other cutures (human and microbial both), but, most important other people."
Verdict: I have not only read all of Michael Pollan's books on food, I own them. This one is my favorite.

A Taste for Wine by Vincent Gasnier
 
     I've had this book for years and was finally inspired to read it when a Total Wine store opened  in my town. That store is pretty awesome, but I honestly didn't even know where to start, so this book's subtitle "20 key tasting to unlock your personal wine style" sounded promising.  The book is beautifully done and give specific wine suggestions. It is almost too much information- I've got at least 6 types of wine I want to taste now!
Verdict: Wonderful reference book.  Overwhelmed with choices and recommendations. I guess I have to rely on the tasting method :)

The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald

     Somehow I  have managed to never read this classic.  It wasn't the movie that is coming out, but Stephen Colbert announcing he would have a book discussion on his show that finally did it.  It was a good story about reinventing/losing one's self. Seems like a timeless theme- trying to figure out who we are and who we want to be.
Verdict:  It is a good read.

The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan

     This felt like a cross better "The DaVinci Code" and a generic romance novel.  It was a drawn out combination of religious mystery and girl power.  It was an ambitious historical fiction, I just felt it was too long in the telling.  I skimmed through most of it and the ending was cheesy.
Verdict:  This is a perfect book to read if you are traveling. This story is interesting enough if you have some time to kill.

The Oracle Glass by Judith Merkle Riley

     I like a good story and this was an excellent story.  This historical fiction details 17th century French society, which includes witchcraft and woman's (lack of ) rights. It even has some romance. The main character is interesting and likable and the setting feel authentic.
Verdict: Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. 

Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

     I kept hearing people talk about this book, so I gave it a try. I found the first part boring and almost stopped reading it, but the reviews I read said this book had twists. The first twist I guessed, but the rest was a surprise!  This story is crafty.
Verdict: I am now raving about this book like everyone else :)

No comments:

Post a Comment