Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Complaining Challenge

 



    
     After reading this article in the Glamour March 2013 issue, I thought I would give the challenge a try- no complaining for a week.  The author felt the challenge helped her reset her thinking and even influence those around her positively. Doing the challenge just didn't work out for me, because I discovered complaining does have some noteworthy benefits:



  • Complaining fosters bonding. Hi my name is Rani and I am a sugar addict.  Turns out complaining about the cupcakes and cookies in your office gives you something in common with other sugar addicts and it creates a support system. I got a FaceBook message from a friend asking for help with the extra frosting that was in her fridge.  We share out sugar shame moments and get through them one cookie at a time.
  • Complaining can facilitate productivity. I was talking with someone on the phone this week and mentioned I was getting over the flu, so was she.  We whined in solidarity for a moment and she totally went out of her way to help me with my request. 
  • Complaining can start a friendship.  I've worked with someone for the past 3 years and have never really said more then hi. This week she had the zombie flu and I can empathize. So we have been checking on each other all week and have talked probably more than the entire time we've worked together.
  • Complaining can encourage others.  I see this at CrossFit all the time. You see a workout and think that looks hard and then someone else bigger and stronger says "that is gonna suck" and immediately you feel better. Whew if they think it sucks, maybe I am not so weak.

     There was one situation this week in which not complaining was definitely beneficial. My co-worker announced she accepted another position and guess who would be getting a portion of her workload- me!  Perfect opportunity to not complain and so I didn't. I said "well if I have to do extra work, I am glad it is payroll." That helped managed my stress about the new workload.

     I think complaining is part of being human and if used correctly can really generate some positive social connections. I did try a few days of not complaining and honestly I felt insincere. Like I was being overly optimistic, almost to the point I was lying.  When it comes to complaining less is more, but some is good.

What do you think? Could you go a week without complaining? And would that be a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment