Thursday, September 26, 2013

Reading Reviews- September 2013

     I tried to focus more on quality than quantity this month.  I was getting a little competitive about how many books I could read each month. So this month I tried to get back to actually enjoying reading again.

The Cooked Seed by Anhee Min

     I don't know what to think of this autobiography?  There were times I was routing for the author and other times I felt she was really dumb. I guess it takes courage to write about your life- good, bad and ugly. The thing is sometimes I felt she was lying or at least embellishing.  I read this story and tried to practice not judging others. But there was something about it that just didn't feel right?
Verdict:  It is unlikely I will ever read anything by the author again.

The Bed of Procrustes by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

     People really love this author. I have tried to read all of his books, but I don't enjoy them at all.  This latest book is a compilation of his philosophies- so it is a bunch of quotes. They seemed preachy and arrogant????
Verdict: I tried, I don't like his stuff.

19 Lesson on Tea by 27Press

     Tea is the new wine?  I wanted to learn more about tea and this book was exactly what I was looking for. It provides an overview on the different types of and how to brew them.  It did so in a concise yet interesting way.
Verdict: I got it for free through Amazon Prime, but would have paid the $2.99.

Then They Came for Me by Maziar Bahari

     This author did an amazing job of intertwining the 118 days he spent in an Iranian prison with the political, religious and social backdrop of the country.  The American political system has many problems, but this book made me appreciate how good we have it!  After reading this, I truly understood the importance of separation of church and state.
Verdict:  Read it or if reading is not your thing, a movie is coming out soon (directed by Jon Stewart).

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

     It sounded like an interesting take on the Robin Hood tale. Will Scarlet, Robin Hood's sidekick, was actually a girl named Scarlet.  I didn't realize this was a Young Adult's book, so my expectations were much to high.  It reminded me of Twilight.
Verdict: Such a good idea, but disappointing execution.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment