Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Mojo Renaissance

14 Years Ago….
I left my home in Hawaii and flew over 2,000 miles of ocean to start a new adventure in California.
I was fearlessly optimistic.  I wasn’t afraid. People always ask me that? I was so young and inexperienced I had no idea what there was to fear or worry about?
My biggest concern was getting a job?  That’s right, I moved without having any idea how I was going to make a living.  I needed a job, so I knew I would find one.
My second biggest problem was keeping warm.  I went from 80 degree Hawaii weather to California in January- Brrrr!  Someone had to explain to me I needed to turn the heater in my apartment on and I figured out how to dress in layers by accident. Bottom line: I didn’t freeze to death, I adapted.
I called home once a week on land line phone.  I was behind the curve on cell phones and the internet, but that didn’t stop me from keeping in touch with friends and family.
I had no car. I still got to everywhere I needed to go.  I walked, biked or caught the bus. 
I made a risky choice, but it was the right choice.  I had that spark to make things happen, against very unrealistic odds. 
If I could go back and tell myself one thing it would be “thank you” for having the courage to leap.  Reflecting on this has inspired me; reminded me of what I am capable of.  Over the years, convention has crept into every part of my life and I started living in “limits” rather than “possibilities.”  It is time to set a revival in motion.  I have no idea what this actually means…yet. Let the Rani Renaissance unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment