Monday, August 12, 2013

Upcoming Athletic Endeavors

    2013 has been an athletic journey for me. It has been two months since the box jump injury.  I took two weeks off of CrossFit and came back at a very modified pace. By modified, I mean no running, jumping or lunging and very light weights.  I also had to walk two 5ks.  It provided a good reset and gave me a chance to really concentrate on form.  Fortunately, I am now almost 100%!  Good thing because, I have five 5ks and a CrossFit competition from September to November.  It is time to start training and setting some goals.

     For the 5ks, I would like to get below a 30 minute time. I keep missing it by a minute or two.  Of course, I am off my game since I walked the last 2 races. But five more races is plenty of time to get going again.  I just need to get back on track and hustle just a tad bit more- like 30 seconds less per mile.

   The CrossFit competition, I will be doing as scaled (because I still can't do a pull-up!!!).  So the first goal is to be able to do 10 pull-ups consecutively using a blue band.  Right now I can do 2 and then need a break.  My second goal is to up my mental game. My energy is being used up by emotion and I lose focus.  I need to control my thought and figure out how to get in the "zone".   One great resource I found was Mindset by John Kim.

     My third goal is to keep myself in check. Sometimes all that I want to do, overshadows all that I have accomplished.  Improvement and progress are key, but you also have to celebrate.  I also need to schedule in rest and recovery.  This is a lot of competitive activity for a three month period.

     I'll end with my praise for Salonpas Pads. They are like icy/hot stick-on pads that help relieve pain.  They are amazing! I used them for my back aches and box jump injury.  I was not born an athletic, but I am learning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment