Friday, October 5, 2012

Blame it on the Barbell

I haven't blogged in almost two months...what have I been up to?

I have been on a quest to become friends with the barbell, via a ten week strength program at CrossFit.  Five days a week of  back squats, snatches, cleans, jerks, front squats, presses, overhead squats and deadlifts.  It was an ambitious undertaking because I considered myself "as weak as a kitten,"  but the in-house competition made me want to know my way around a barbell.

Week 1 was almost too easy.  I did my strength workout and then the daily WOD.  I approached Week 2 with caution but still did both strength and the WOD with a smile. Week 3 is when it finally caught up to me- I stopped being able to sleep. I would lie in bed completely jacked up. I couldn't fall asleep because of the physical pain and I was also mentally amped up all night. I tried to continue on in Week 4, but did discuss my sleeping issues with the trainer who said, "that is not good, you are over training."  It was also obvious that I didn't enjoy lifting as much as the WODs. Actually I really didn't enjoy lifting at all.

But I stuck with it- why?  Because the results were undeniable. I was lifting heavier, with better form and with more confidence.  I did alter the program to focus on the lifts that were most important to me (back squats, cleans, snatches and deadlifts).  By Week 7 my efforts were noticed- a trainer said I had made "light years" of progress. That almost made me cry, partially because I was so ground down physically, mentally and emotionally. I really really wanted to call it good and just go back to WODs, but I decided to continue for 3 more weeks.

I just finished up Week 9.   I broke down and got a massage to help alleviate the constant pain I've experienced. The knots in my back were so bad, I have bruises from the massage.  What do I have to show for all my efforts- lots!  My deadlift increased by 50lbs, I can lift half my weight overhead and  back squat my entire body weight. I can execute snatches and cleans without injuring myself (some of the bruises were hard to explain!). I approach the barbell with confidence.  I didn't quit and I also didn't kill myself.

I can't wait to get through next week and be able to say I did it!  CrossFit is never easy, but damn this was hard. So that is why I haven't blogged, I've been battling with the barbell, but we are friends now :)  What doesn't kill you makes your stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment