Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Weight of Numbers

“As much as you work out, how have you not lost weight?” asked a person, who shall remain unnamed. A blunt question, but a fair one.   I’ve been doing Cross Fit 4-5 times a week, yoga at least once a week and eating decently. Yet I look the same? I haven’t weighed myself since January, because I didn’t own a scale.
 I finally bought a scale and was not surprised to find the number hasn’t changed much (I lost 3 lbs.).  My clothes still fit the same.  So according to the scale, nothing much has changed.  According to my Cross Fit log, a lot has changed! I am lifting at least 40 lbs heavier on all movements.  I also have a new mental fortitude- I do hard things because they are hard.  Somewhere along the line, I started chasing performance and forgot about appearance.  
Prior to Cross Fit, I believed I was physically weak and mentally strong. Eight months into Cross Fit, it is the exact opposite. I am physically stronger than I imagined and have lots of room to grow my mental game.  Every day, I look forward to pushing myself to be stronger, faster and better.  Now if that also mean losing lbs and having abs of steal- so be it! 
The reason I finally bought a scale was so I could calculate the percentage of my body weight I can lift.  Body weight does not tell the whole story, so don’t let the scale dictate your fitness experience. For me, performance outweighs appearance. 
So how did I respond to the unnamed person’s question?  I said, “Come do a Cross Fit WOD and then talk to me about my weight.” That shut down inquires about my weight. You get to choose how much numbers should weigh.

Here is some inspiring stuff :
http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/stop-weighing-on-the-scale-for-weight-loss/

No comments:

Post a Comment