Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Competition Day


Am I a competitor? Nine months into CrossFit and I entered my first competition to figure out the answer to that question.  It was an in-house competition, so very low on competitiveness and high on encouragement.  I spent 6 weeks preparing, working on the skills we were given hints on, and even had training partners. A week before the event, the workouts were released and I polished up my weaknesses (box jumps, rip digs, knees to elbows and cleans).  I scaled my workout during the week and took a rest day. I was prepared as I could be.
I had three goals: 1) get through all the workouts in the time cap 2) give my best performance and 3) have a good attitude and have some fun! I also hoped this would help me determine if I wanted to compete and of course I hoped to win. I did finish all the workouts in the time cap, I gave my best performance and I had fun. But I didn’t win. I came in last place. I would be lying if I said that didn’t sting. 
I allowed myself a tantrum. I had worked hard to come in last place? I could have done nothing and still been in last place! Not fair! I examined my performance- why hadn’t I done better?  I thought about quitting CrossFit, because obviously I suck! Fortunately, the six weeks of training and competition had worn me out to the point where I didn’t have that much energy to carry on a pity party.
So I got down to business. What could I have done better? Nothing. I can honestly say I did my best to prepare for the competition and then I gave my absolute best performance. If I hadn’t trained for six weeks, I would have never been able to do the workout or finish them in the allotted time. The other competitors were simply better than me.  That realization stung too.
The competition wasn’t what I expected. I thought it would be a straightforward experience- do workouts and get points.  It was much more than that.  It was about summoning every ounce of will you have to keep going, connecting to others and finding determination to carry on, even when nothing goes as expected. 
Will I continue to compete? I don’t know. I will give it a couple more tries, but maybe my “best” will never be at the level needed for competition.   The real question I had to ask myself is “am I willing to do what it takes to be better and faster?” Well, I am a CrossFitter, so of course the answer is yes! The good news is coming in last means I have nothing to lose- I am either going to do the same or improve.  I didn’t “win”, but I also didn’t “lose” and I am far from giving up.  Sounds like a  competitor to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment