Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Busy Joy

I love going to yoga on Sunday mornings.  It is a good way to reset mentally for the coming week. It is kinda like going to church, especially because the instructor will usually provide a topic for the practice. This Sunday's "sermon" was about the three things that make life happy: peace, love and joy.  We were to pick the one we were most lacking in our lives and think on it.  I have peace and love, but sometimes life is so busy I don't feel like there is time to actually enjoy it. Joy comes from having a purpose in the things you do. So I decided to actually map out what it is I am doing with my time.  Here is a 24 hour snap shot of my life:

5:45 am:  Wake up.Check CrossFit Centurion's website for today's WOD (Trust me, I am not the only one who does this first thing!). Get up, uncover the parakeets,turn the Keurig on and jump in the shower.

6:10am:  Make breakfast (sausage, eggs and coffee), pack lunch, clean up kitchen. Get ready for work while listening the Carly Rae Jepsen channel on Pandora. 
7:10am:  Commute to work, still listening to Carly Rae Jepsen channel on Pandora.  It is Monday, I need some lightness to start off the week.

7:50am to 4:20pm: Working like a state worker.  At lunch I start reading my library e-book "The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time."

4:30pm: Head home. Listening to my ipod on shuffle- I was in a spontaneous kind of mood.

5:00pm: Got home and prep dinner (chicken and artichoke). Had pre-CrossFit snack and fed parakeets. I also rolled out and stretched for 5 minutes- I am still feeling Saturday's workout.

6:00pm: Head over to CrossFit. Today's WOD is called "Suicide Watch." I've done this one before- it is sprints and kettle bell swings. Good news: you won't kill youself. Bad news: you will want to throw up.  I am just glad it doesn't invovle lifting heavy things repeatedly! After WOD worked on handstand pushups.

8:15pm: Eat dinner, clean up kitchen, shower and watch BattleStar Galactica.

10pm: Bedtime.  7.5 hours of sleep!

So the majority of my day is taken up by work (10 hours with commute time. That is 60% of my waking hours).  Life is busy!  Is it too busy to schedule in some joy?  I think the best way is to sneak in enjoyment through out the day: listening to music on the way to work, have some dark chocolate and tea after lunch, socializing at CrossFit. Life is what you make it. I can make it in to a grind or a flow.  The most important part is to be aware of these little moments of joy and fully enjoy them. That is my busy joy flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment