Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Perfect is the Enemy of Good

Here I am again… weeks have gone by without me posting a blog. I have no good reason for not crafting a weekly post, but let me try out a few theories: 1) The weather changed- it got dark and cold and I just followed my instincts to seasonally slow down. 2) Life is peacefully, so nothing fired me up to get a good piece going.  3)  Writing both thrills and scares me into inertia.
While all of these excuses make up the truth, #3 is the biggest part of why I haven’t been writing.  Honestly, I haven’t even attempted to write a blog, but I thought about it- a lot. I feel pressure to produce and publish only perfection.   That kind of pressure creates avoidance, because I hate to fail.  I thought about just deleting the whole Rice Kracker blog and stop stressing myself unnecessarily.
But I just can’t quit writing because it is my outlet for creating something. I am not artsy or mechanically inclined, but I can use words to build something.   I love the way you start with a blank screen and sentence by sentence a piece gets created.   You arrange, rearrange, delete and revise until thoughts are shaped into a symphony of words.  
Another reason I can’t quit is writing is an adventure.  I often start writing not really knowing where I am heading and then ending up somewhere I never thought I would.  For example, I wrote this blog intending to expound upon how you shooting for perfection can paralyze you, but instead it has evolved into how much I love creating with words.
Having a blog to write is a good thing for me. It exercises my creative muscles.  I need to get pass perfect inertia and just write. I need to take the time to do this regularly.  I need to face that blank screen and see what adventures are in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment